Monday 20 May 2013

artist Dodi Wexler



Dodi Wexler is an American artist who lives and works in London now.

 "I believe in tiny bits also believe in paper"

She did a hug rang of works mainly by papers, the incredible collage which appreciated both up close and from a distance, it makes me find the connection between me and the artist, the similarity of the thought really cheered me up and want explore more.

              
                        her studio

Dodi Wexler likes combines all sorts of materials to create visually rich and almost narrative pieces of rather large scale, she said she want off the triangular surface instead of create unmeasured scales, to me, it is a new thing to challenge with, no "already made" surface is a big step up.

                
Cow Phoenix With Moon Under Firmanent On High, 2003

"This is a woven piece of leftover brown and red paper, I tried to make it spiky, bloody and disturbing because my teachers at columbia thought that my work was too placid and pretty. Allan Hacklin didn't buy my attempt and during my review he took an exacto knife and pretended to slash this piece..."

          
                      Not Placid Purdy, 2002

              
        Sent, 1998, backwards and forwards stamps

               
The Early Life of the Blindman Who Fired My Cousin, 1996

She put every snapshop into a little frame window of its own, painted blood red into all the eyes and around all the frames, this side is called "freak" side, the other side of the artwork, the "pod" side, is made out of the negatives.

According to the explanation, I think it can create endless possibilities and purposes:

up "freak" + down "freak" + paint on up "freak";
up "freak" + down "freak" + paint on down "freak";
up "freak" + down "pod" + paint on up "freak";
up "freak" + down "pod" + paint on down "pod";
up "pod" + down "pod" + paint on up "pod";
up "pod" + down "pod" + paint on down "pod";
up "pod" + down "freak" + paint on up "pod";
up "pod" + down "freak" + paint on down "freak";
                                              
                                                                            ... ... add more layers

           






RESEARCHES

http://www.dodiwexler.com/    Dodi Wexler Studio.
http://www.pavelzoubok.com/node/dodi-wexler
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/-951













No comments: